HOW TO REBUILD FIREBIRD TRANS AM DOOR HINGES
I recently rebuilt the door hinges on my T/A here are some tips.
These kits sale for $10.00 to $20.00 and are very much worth it.
- THOSE DOORS ARE HEAVY HAVE A FRIEND HELP YOU !!!!!!!!!
- 1. Roll windows down.
- 2. Use some tape to mask around the edges of the door and fender area.
- 3. Scribe out around the door hinges so you will know where to start when adjusting the doors.
- 4. Remove wires going to the door. (speaker, power window, and door lock wires).
- 5. Use a floor jack on the bottom of the door to support the weight with.
- 6. Remove the bolts on the hinge to the door. remember to use caution these doors are real heavy.
- 7. Remove bolts from hinge and car.
- 8. USE CAUTION WITH HINGE SPRING !!!
Open hinge and use a clamp to compress spring on hinge and remove spring.
- 9. Grind off "ears" on pin. Push out pin.
- 10. Remove old bushings.
- 11. Replace bushings and pin.
- 12. Reassemble door with hinges and align door, be very careful on alignment and check striker bolt.